Sunday, September 4, 2011

Day 14 - Ballot of Yesterday


I actually did part of this on Friday when I was supposed to, but I had to run to a show before I had a chance to finish it, etc. Well I finally got around to it today and as I was about to post an incomplete song, parts of the final lines came to me and I was able to finish. I'm pretty pleased with the outcome. My suggestion was ballot and when I googled it for ideas, this snippet of one definition is the first thing that caught my eye, "a device used to record choices". And I thought, like our memory?

Suggestion - Ballot
Start - 7:53PM
End 8:18PM
Total time - 25 minutes, plus about 20 today, so 45 minutes
What I learned: I enjoy puns. Ballot of Yesterday? Get it? Because ballot is close to ballad? Well it's not funny once I have to explain it.

*The lines that I wrote today are in italics. The end of the chorus was cool because it was an example of how thinking from a different perspective can give you what you need. I had previously been thinking we were fighting some physical "them" figure but couldn't figure out what. It wasn't until I realized that today, tomorrow and yesterday were personifications and the "they"s I was thinking of that everything feel into place.


Verse - C Am x 3,
Pre-chorus - Em Am Em G
Chorus - F G C Am



Everyday we’re faced with choices,
all the voices calling for us
Force us to live life like tourists
fodder for brochures, we’re being bred
And maybe it’s all in my head,

But I, I’m calling for a call to arms
So light the fires, someone sound the alarms
We’ll rise, we’ll fight today, forgive tomorrow
for another yesterday

Everyday we’re getting older
Race to the end, maybe we should hold up
Quit breaking mirrors, find some clovers
it’s all one line, we’re being led
And maybe it’s all in my head,

But I, I’m calling for a call to arms
So light the fires, someone sound the alarms
We’ll rise, we’ll fight today, forgive tomorrow
for another yesterday


No comments:

Post a Comment